Thursday, July 3

Crazy Summer Days

Hard to believe it has been a month since I have written anything on here. Where did the time go? We have been so busy -- Rebecca got her hearing aid and loves it! She shows it off all of the time.



We are still working on the adoption which is now in full swing, we will sign papers at the end of this month and then consumate in August. We have received all of her records from FPS and are going through them now. We are working on our subsidy papers and filling out the paperwork for our attorney.



Next week, I will be attending the SEE conference in Dallas. I have also been having private tutoring from one of my Deaf friends who is working with me on my signing in the Deaf community. It has been difficult because for Rebecca I need to use SEE because her school uses SEE and so it is necessary that for now she learns SEE. I also recognize that SEE is not the most popular in the Deaf community, so my friend is helping me with that. So, I am learning 2 ways to sign right now and my head has been spinning.



Summertime is in full swing at our home and we are bustling with activity. Camp is coming up at the end of this month, but they still have not found an interpreter for Rebecca - so please pray for that! It is a foster/adoptive camp which is incredible and I know that Rebecca would get a lot out of it! We are planning our annual trip to Sea World and right now we are overwhelmed with 4th of July activities. Both girls went to VBS last week and had a blast! They are in a summer program that is filling them with activities - so far they have went to a baseball game, skating, had a cooking class and next week they will go bowling.



So, if my blogs are a little sparatic I appologize. I will do my best to try to slow down and write something every once in a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would ask the administrators (or just the teacher) at the school why they use SEE and ask if they know that linguists don't recognize it as a language. I see the dilemma you are in and it sucks. My school used SEE, as well as my mother, but now I use ASL and it's hard for my mother to keep up. Is it possible for you to use ASL at home and SEE at school? Now, I know your immediate reaction would be no, because it would be confusing for Rebecca (a common response), but people have been growing up in bilingual worlds for years and don't really have any difficulty. Even linguists say that the language confusion is a bunch of hulaboo. In fact, it increases their IQ. Many hispanics will learn English at school and Spanish at home, and it isn't such a problem. We Americans are so monolingual that we think our children couldn't possibly handle more than one language, but they can, and do.

You may try some local universities for ASL students who would be willing to interpret. I know, she really should have a certified interpreter, but camps have a puny budget.

It sounds like you and your family are doing great!